Create a Home Made Scarecrow
What you'll need:
- 1 6 foot bamboo pole
- 1 4 foot bamboo pole
- Old pair of jeans or coveralls
- Old long sleeved shirt- preferably checked flannel
- Old belt
- Old pair of socks
- Old Gardening gloves
- Old straw hat
- Sturdy safety pins- lots
- Plenty of twine, floral wire or raffia
- Pumpkin or pillow case for the head
- Rags, fiberfill, newspaper or straw
- Paint, sharpies, buttons, glue and/or yarn to decorate the face
- Place the 4 foot bamboo pole across the 6 foot pole, about 1 foot from the top. The 4 foot pole will become the "arms". Firmly secure with twine, floral wire or raffia.
- Place the long sleeved shirt on the 4 foot pole (the "arms"), and button. Loosely stuff the shirt with rags, fiberfill, crumpled newspaper or straw. Place loosely stuffed gardening gloves on the end of each arm and secure with safety pins.
- Put one leg of the jeans or coveralls on the 6 foot pole. The other leg will swing freely. Tuck the shirt into the pants and place a belt around the "waist". Loosely stuff the pants as you stuffed the shirt. Place loosely stuffed socks on the end of each leg- secure with safety pins.
- If you're using a pumpkin for the head, carve it into a jack-o-lantern and firmly secure to the body with wire. A pillowcase actually works better and is far easier to attach to the body. Use paint, sharpies, buttons, glue and/or yarn to create facial features. Stuff and attach it to the body with safety pins.
- Place straw hat on the head and secure it firmly, so it won't blow off on windy days.
- Name your scarecrow and stick it in the ground. Not only is it a great yard decoration, but it will discourage crows and other birds from eating the harvest from your garden.